You can’t go to Greece without going to Turkey. Their history are so intertwined that I couldn’t see one without the other.
• Make sure you fly in on the Asian side: There are two airports in Istanbul. One is on the Asian side and the other is on the European side.
• Get your visa online: The cost is cheaper and it makes going through customs so much easier.
• If you are a woman go with a man or a group.: I am a solo traveler (female) and I had a hard time walking the streets and the grand bazaar.
• Know what you want to do and see, so you came make your accommodations close by.
• If a storekeeper offers you some tea, drink it. It is a custom for a store owner to offer you some tea. It will probably be Turkish tea or apple. I liked them both.
• They will try to sell you a rug: They will offer you some tea then try to sell you a rug. If you don’t want a rug just tell them no thank you.
• Turkey and Greece are very similar: They both at one point in time had control over the other.
• If you are a curvy woman, expect men to be very nice: Try to dress modest. It is an Islamic country.
• Istanbul is not the end all in Turkey: try to visit other cities. I went to Bodrum just for the clear water.